Saturday, November 09, 2013

The Innnernet

For some reason, James and I have both shown symptoms of internet connectivity distrust in the past.

Have you ever noticed that my Facebook profile picture has never actually shown my face? When I first signed up years ago, it was my intentional mini rebellion to ease my conscience as I joined the masses. James just plain refuses to use it. Of course, he often stands over my shoulder to read posts, look at photos, and watch the videos our friends have uploaded.

Maybe we were afraid our virtual relationships would replace real life ones. Perhaps we wanted to protect our privacy and refrain from broadcasting the minute details of our lives. To some degree, I'm sure we thought ourselves too unique to jump onto all the internet-app-media band wagons. But I think it's time we admit we've caved!

Just recently we began using Instagram. It's James' first foray into social media since Friendster. A few weeks ago he began using WeChat with his Chinese friends here, and it seems like he's been texting and posting non-stop since. In the last few months I have become addicted to Pinterest. We may not tweet, but between the two of us, James and I have bought into the main-stream digital world. We have smart phones. We have a blog. We have Youtube channels. I watch Hulu while I fold laundry. Skype alone has changed our lives.

I have come to see the digital world as both a black hole and a glorious portal. Though it can consume a large portion of my time if I'm not thoughtful about my usage, I only feel mildly conflicted. As James and I find ourselves separated from friends, loved ones, and our home culture, it has been marvelous to connect in these ways! To know a favorite high school teacher recently retired, to hear my nephew giggle, and to get updates from far-away friends are such precious pieces of data. Though I once scoffed at "those people" whose phones seemed like a physiological appendage, I now use mine as my primary photo album, recipe box, stereo, alarm, camera, schedule keeper, and Chinese textbook.

So follow this, pin that, comment, post, and let's be involved in one another's lives. I am just so thankful I can be a part of your world, it no longer matters to me that the ways we're reaching out to one another are often digital.

2 comments:

Dorothy Yoder said...

So true Laura! It's nice to keep up with friends you don't see often and what's going on in their lives.

Whitney Napier said...

Aww!! :) I can hear you saying all this and it makes me smile! Good for you! I love hearing as much as I can about y'all! and keep you in my thoughts ;)