Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Smoke & Beauty

Many things that James and I experience here are juxtapositions. I snapped both these photos today.




The first is of the gorgeous cherry blossoms that are decorating branches all over our city. The sky may look blue in the photo, but it's actually a very hazy gray. Our city has been in a drought for three years, and forest fires have been breaking out all over the mountains recently. The second photo, taken from our apartment this evening, is of the setting sun obscured by smoke. Both the flowers and the fires seem wildly noteworthy to me, but locals have waved off my interest with comments like, "Yes, yes, pretty flowers," and "It's not smoke, it's just fog because it's so dry." I wonder what beauty and dangers I have been completely oblivious to at home simply because they're commonplace.

No comments: